A Magical Way to Recover After a Race!

Well hello there! How’s your Thursday going? It’s almost Friday! Over here I’m having a Triple Threat Thursday….not sure this was the best idea after coming home from vacation but oh well! Got make some money to pay off those vacation bills!

In between teaching my classes I’ve enjoyed reading some other bloggers recaps of the Disney Half Marathon and Full Marathon.

Alicia over at Poise in Parma has a great recap of running her first half marathon.

Katy ran a very speedy half marathon, and has a great story to tell.

And Elizabeth ran her first marathon, enjoying the moments not the minutes! I love that she says she was smiling the whole time just like me. Her story makes me want to go back and run the full marathon…..maybe! Check out part 1 and part 2.

It’s so cool to share an experience with people you’ve never even met that live all over the country! If you missed it here is my pre-race recap, and my race day recap.

After the race we headed back to the condo for much needed showers. Sadly I made a huge mistake and didn’t stretch…..like, at all! Well, at least it was better than the last time I recovered from a half marathon. The condo had two nice big bath tubs one with jets in it. I soaked in one of those with Epsom salts, so much more relaxing than an ice bath! We ate a nice healthy breakfast of eggs and toast and all took a nap.

After napping we decided it would be a good idea to get our legs moving to avoid being stiff. I must admit none of my injuries that had been nagging me the entire time I was training bothered me. My legs were a little sore and my feet were definitely feeling it. We drove to Kissimmee and walked a around a pretty lake with lots of Florida wildlife.




Then we headed to Old Town where we perused the shops and ate dinner at a Mexican place. I had been pounding water all day but at this point I thought it was time for a celebratory beer!

We headed back to the condo and hung out, calling it an early night because the next day we were doing Disney!

An do Disney we did! We went to all four theme parks in 2 days! The crowds were fairly light so we got on most of the rides fairly quickly. We didn’t get to see EVERYTHING but we saw everything I wanted to see. Here are just a few highlights.

On day 1 we did Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Of course we did the safari in Animal Kingdom seeing lots of African wildlife.



Amy and Ryan in the safari jeep.


Some how I didn’t take any pictures at Hollywood Studios. On day 2 we did the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. We got a great group shot in front of Cinderella’s Castle. (Becky and Kurt had different plans that day that’s why they’re not in the picture).


Plus one of just me and Brian


The weather was pretty nice for the most part. As we were traveling from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot a storm broke loose but it didn’t ruin our time at all. Other than that the temperatures were in the 60’s and 70’s much warmer than Wisconsin that’s for sure. We went on a bunch of rides at Epcot and then walked around the World Showcase. I got a nice picture of the lagoon, but was using my little camera so it isn’t the best.


For dinner we decided to eat at one of the countries in the World Showcase. We chose Morocco, dining at the Restaurant Marrakesh. Again excuse the poor photos as I was using my point and shoot.

I started with a glass of Moroccan wine. Amy and Ryan split a bottle and let me use it for my photo shoot.


I had the roast lamb meshoui, it was delectable!


For dessert I had this crazy concoction called a Bastilla  it is described as, “crispy leaves of pastry topped with vanilla cream and sprinkled with toasted almonds.”



We finished off the night by watching the Illuminations fireworks and laser light show on the lagoon. I had such a fun time with my friends. We were even able to recreate an inside joke from the time I visited Marianne in Scotland…only this time Amy was able to join us!


Let’s just say the joke involves eating in a phone booth!

I think going to the Disney theme parks was the perfect way to recover after the race. Even though my legs were quite sore after the race I think walking around helped to keep them lose. By the time we flew home on Tuesday I felt almost good as new. I guess it helped that we got upgraded to First class since our flight was overbook. Now that is a fun way to fly!

What a great trip! I know I made memories that will last a life time. It’s been pretty tough coming back to “the real world” as well as this cold and snowy Wisconsin winter but life will go on and I know there are more adventures waiting to be had.

Well, I better go and practice some Zumba, it’s been ages since I taught a class! Have a great day!


6 responses to “A Magical Way to Recover After a Race!

  1. Thanks so much for the link love!

  2. Thank for the shout out girl! 😀

  3. Thanks for linking to my recap– I loved reading yours (and the others, too!) and getting caught up in the excitement all over again. 🙂 We spent the day after the marathon at Animal Kingdom, and I’ve got to tell you… your safari pictures put mine to shame! I think I have more back-of-the-person-in-front-of-me’s-head than actual animals… Thanks again, hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s