The rest of the weekend!

Hello blog world! How’s your Tuesday going? It’s always hard getting back into the swing of things after a nice long weekend. The good news is Friday will come even faster now! Sorry for disappearing over the weekend. I had every intention of blogging but after some pretty fun filled days I was just too tired! When we go home last night I of course had to get caught up on laundry and get ready for the week ahead.

As I mentioned my sister-in-law volunteered us to help at the Great Midwest Marathon and Half Marathon. This was the inarguable year for this event. There were only about 120 runners in both the marathon and half marathon. The normal temperature for this time of year in eastern Wisconsin is between 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. On Sunday the high was 90 degrees! We got there at 7:45am to set up our station. Ironically enough our water station was on the same path that I ran on on Saturday. It was already hot and muggy when we got our station ready.


We had plenty of water and Gatorade to go around. The marathon course was a loop so we would see the marathon runners once and the half marathon runners twice. We were about miles  8 and 18 on the marathon course and the first marathon runner came by about 9am, he was already sweating like crazy! The last marathoner was a funny man from Japan (I think) who stopped to take pictures of everything! The marathon course joined up with the start of the half marathon course and so we were expecting a rush at about 10am. We were about mile 5 1/2 for the half marathon and by the time the runners got to us they were looking pretty miserable. I honestly don’t know how they did it. I was so hot and I was just standing there. I was mostly busy handing out beverages but I did manage to snap a photo of some of the runners.


They had a big hill to climb before they got to our station. I guess a lot of folks dropped out. We waited a long time for the last marathon runner (the Japanese guy). When he reached our station he was so grateful that we stuck around. We gave him the rest of our ice and a lot of water. He didn’t know if he’d be able to make it but I checked the results page today and he did!

It was really fun helping out at this event. I certainly have a greater appreciation for race volunteers. Even though it was really hot and a lot of the runners looked beat as far as I know there were know injuries or cases of heat stroke. We also had the EMT’s at our station so that’s how I know. I really give the runners a lot of credit for sticking it out. I don’t know if I would have been able to do it. I’m hoping the weather is not like that for my triathlon in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!

After we were done volunteering I helped my sister-in-law deliver a wedding cake (she owns her own business Sweet Creations By Caren check her out!). Then we vegged for awhile before ordering Chinese food. We were all too tired to consider cooking.

Monday I got up and ran for 45minutes. It was hot and muggy again but not nearly as bad as Sunday. Then we headed out to a Memorial Day parade. I took Izzy for her first parade and she got really freaked out by the marching band! Other than that she was great! We headed back to the house to play some Wii. We ate some lunch and then headed back home.

It was a great weekend away! Now it’s back to the grind. Actually things are really slow around here and I don’t have any evening events for awhile. I teach Zumba tonight and then am looking forward to a night at home. Hope your weekend went just as swimmingly as mine did!

P.S. I can’t believe my triathlon is in less than TWO WEEKS!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s